Saturday, September 19, 2015

Eggfree Lemony Blueberry Muffins


So, my 6 year old has a weekend homework. She has to cook/bake something to observe and record changes in states of matter. I wanted to take it easy and thought of baking our usual chocolate cupcakes. But then , also it was opportunity to try something new because I was not planning to use these for entertaining. So risk could be taken!

Since I had no eggs on hand recipe has to be egg free and also have been looking ways to use up my dried blueberries , Eggfree blueberry muffins was easy choice.

They came out very nice. Soft and spongy. I was little apprehensive about the amount of baking soda used but with lemon zest you don't  feel any aftertaste of baking soda. Its all fruity and nice.


Ingredients

2 cups all purpose/plain flour/Maida
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon zest
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract or lemon extract. I used lemon extract.
1/3 cup vegetable oil, I used rice ban oil, any flavorless oil will do
1 tbsp Vinegar, I used white vinegar.Apple cider vinegar can also be used
1 1/2 cups frozen/ fresh blueberries, I used dried ones.

Recipe
Preheat the oven to 375F, Prepare the  muffin tray by either lightly greasing or using the liner.
In a bowl combine together flour, baking soda and salt.
In another large bowl add milk, oil vinegar, sugar and lemon zest, and vanilla/lemon extract.               Mix well. I used the beater but hand mixing will work as well.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and gently mix .
Add blueberries and gently fold. Do not over mix.
Fill the cupcake/muffin tray about 2/3 rd full.
Bake for 20 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in  middle comes out clean.
Let it cool for few minutes and they are ready to be devoured!

No comments: